USERS CURRENTLY ONLINE ON DISCORD

Become one of us today, click to join!

Gender Biased IG Ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutelovebird

I've noticed that rank names favor male pronouns. For example, you can be a hero but not a heroine. You can also be a count but not a countess. A duke but not a duchess. Adding feminine rank names that offer the same perks as male ranks would provide a player with plenty of options. It would also spice up the game. As I've heard a few others complaining of this issue I know it would more than satisfy their desires for more equal options.

DrTyttex

I like that idea, I just hope it'd be possible to implement without recoding the whole plugin. If thats the issue then Im not sure if its worth it. As much as I'd like to see female ranks in game and actually know if I talk to a he or a she in game, if that'd take so much work time, then honestly I dont think its worth it.

Wolfhound1

Staff Manager
Emperor
This was suggested a long time ago here.

My personal opinion is that, nowadays, titles like Duke, Lord, Earl, can (and should) be used by any gender - similar to how some use "dude" for both men and women, instead of using "dudette". Some people use "men" in some contexts to refer to the entire human race, both woman and man. (One context example would be: "Since the dawn of man, there has been wars between rival factions." or "They were gods among men")

I understand the reasoning behind why somebody would want their title to better represent their gender but I also, personally, feel like some players may feel left out with the ranks being more gender orientated - and being forced to choose between a male and female version of a rank instead of all players having one name for each rank (which provides a sense of anonymity of their gender until they chose to disclose to people themselves) may make some players feel uncomfortable.
I also feel like it's an extra addition which will take time and resources to implement, and my personal opinion is that gendered ingame ranks isn't that important.

I think that this is certainly an interesting idea, though.

Keysie

Reminds me of RuneScape's title system. If it can be made like that to the applicable ranks, it would be interesting.

eli_ayy

So, I made a forum post today when someone asked for a list of ranks with prices/benefits, and I realized something: Greek and Classic both actually have some ranks that are either not gendered or female (female are on Greek). Here's the post, but what essentially I want to point out is:
  • Gender-neutral ranks:
    • Beginning ranks up to Apprentice on Classic and Merchant on Greek all have no gender.
    • Mason & Architect on Greek have no gender either; warrior and hoplite could be argued in either direction, given that today we would not consider them gendered words but both would have been roles filled by men in Ancient Greece.
    • Aristocrat has no gender in Classic and Earl does not have a feminine form, so in my opinion that means an Earl could be any gender.
    • General through Sovereign all have no gender on Classic.
    • Titan on Greek has no gender; the Titans of Ancient Greece were both men and women.
  • Female ranks:
    • Chimera (the monstrous child of Echidna; usually referred to as female).
    • Scylla (one of the monsters that guard the entrance to the Sea of Monsters. She's up on a cliff and has a bunch of heads that eat sailors).
    • Medusa (A Gorgon; she turns people to stone with her eyes and has snake hair. Also, she hates Poseidon).
    • Aphrodite (Goddess of love. Pretty cool).
    • Artemis (Uh, like the biggest badass ever? She swore off men and leads her band of immortal girls in Hunts to kill of ancient evil monsters. Also, she's the goddess of the moon.).
Hope this was helpful!

cutelovebird

So, I made a forum post today when someone asked for a list of ranks with prices/benefits, and I realized something: Greek and Classic both actually have some ranks that are either not gendered or female (female are on Greek). Here's the post, but what essentially I want to point out is:
  • Gender-neutral ranks:
    • Beginning ranks up to Apprentice on Classic and Merchant on Greek all have no gender.
    • Mason & Architect on Greek have no gender either; warrior and hoplite could be argued in either direction, given that today we would not consider them gendered words but both would have been roles filled by men in Ancient Greece.
    • Aristocrat has no gender in Classic and Earl does not have a feminine form, so in my opinion that means an Earl could be any gender.
    • General through Sovereign all have no gender on Classic.
    • Titan on Greek has no gender; the Titans of Ancient Greece were both men and women.
  • Female ranks:
    • Chimera (the monstrous child of Echidna; usually referred to as female).
    • Scylla (one of the monsters that guard the entrance to the Sea of Monsters. She's up on a cliff and has a bunch of heads that eat sailors).
    • Medusa (A Gorgon; she turns people to stone with her eyes and has snake hair. Also, she hates Poseidon).
    • Aphrodite (Goddess of love. Pretty cool).
    • Artemis (Uh, like the biggest badass ever? She swore off men and leads her band of immortal girls in Hunts to kill of ancient evil monsters. Also, she's the goddess of the moon.).
Hope this was helpful!
That is neat but most of the female ranks you pointed out were only on greek.

eli_ayy

That is neat but most of the female ranks you pointed out were only on greek.
Also, I feel I should mention that I think more gender-neutral rank names would be a great idea. I just wanted to show that there already are a few that either don't have gendered connotations or are female.

Status
Not open for further replies.